Anxiety Counselling in Neutral Bay, Mosman and Throughout North Shore
Being in a constant state of fear or anxiety is not fun. It can stop you from doing activities, seeing friends and going to certain places and even hijack your career.
Anxiety, stress, distraction, worry and overwhelm are pervasive problems that plague many of us.
Anxiety is a highly orchestrated response to a perceived threat or challenge that includes biological, behavioural, cognitive and emotional elements. As humans, we can become highly anxious over an entirely imagined or improperly assessed event. Good events can also cause anxiety, such as the birth of a child, getting a new job, moving or beginning a new relationship or marriage.
Anxiety can be chronic (on going) OR acute (one time only) and still cause serious emotional and physical ailments. That’s why it is crucial to learn how to properly identify and process anxiety through perception, expression, regulation and modification.
Anxiety is the body’s physical response to fear. Everyone feels anxious at times, and a certain level of anxiety is both normal and even helpful in some situations. Anxiety is our body’s way of keeping us safe. For instance, imagine you’re walking home, and you’re dragging your feet because you’re tired. Out of the corner of your eye, you think you see a snake. Suddenly, you forget how tired you are and have a burst of energy that helps you to get away.
Anxiety can also motivate us. If we feel a bit anxious about an assignment that’s due, it can help us to get it done on time. However, feeling too much anxiety about something usually gets in the way and can be unhealthy.
Signs and Symptoms of Anxiety
- Constantly worrying? Ruminating (going over the same thing again and again)? Obsessive thinking? Experiencing excessive fear?
- Feeling your heart racing, constriction in your chest, shallow breathing, and feeling tense and on the edge? Is your digestion system upset? Maybe you’re even having panic attacks. Perhaps you have PTSD.
- Problems getting to sleep or waking up in the middle of the night worrying?
- Using food, alcohol or other sedatives to calm yourself down?
- Avoiding people, places or things that make you feel anxious?
How working with me can help lessen the grip of anxiety:
- When you’re anxious your thoughts are usually speeding ahead to the future. So we’re going to bring you right back to the present moment. We’ll slow everything right down. We may use some mindfulness techniques. Or we may focus on your breathing and relaxation techniques.
- Perhaps we’ll do some gentle movement to ‘ground’ you. This is simply a moving form of mindfulness and it means bringing your focus to right now in the present time (and it stops you thinking about the future).
- And we’ll talk. We’ll explore what’s going on in your life that’s creating anxiety. We’ll look at what’s triggering you. We’ll look at what’s happened in your past that may be coming up now.
- We might add in some postures or movement and sounding to help drain away the tension in your body and help relax your nervous system.
- Or perhaps some breathing exercises to slow and deepen your breath to get more oxygen into your body.
- We’ll come up with some strategies that work for you.
Would you like to get some help?
If you would like to come and see me please call 0418296107.
If you’re feeling unsure, or want to ask me what anxiety counselling or body psychotherapy is all about I offer a complimentary 20 minute session by phone for new clients. You can also email me from my contact form here to arrange the complimentary session.